- If you are traveling in Leh during the non-peak season, you get easily get 25-30% discount on the published taxi rates. Take a look at the published taxi rates and calculate how much the published fare for your trip would be. This knowledge will help you to negotiate better. Before start negotiating, take a look at the vehicle first and make sure that you are happy with that.
- Every destination in Ladakh area may or may not be beautiful but the journey to those places will be definitely awesome.
- There are a
lot of guest houses and hotels close to the old town
- The share taxi stand is now moved to a new place (polo ground) that’s located in the Manali highway beginning area. If you are planning to take share taxi to Manali or Kargil or Srinagar, you need to have patience and belief that you would get there. The people in the taxi stand are very helpful and will let you know which taxi will leave first to your destination and you have to wait til the taxi get full, it may take 30 minutes or two hours.
- Instead of booking separate taxi rides, e.g. Leh to Nubra valley
- If there’s no major floods or landslides, you will be able to go to Pongong from Nubra Valley without coming to Leh, when you book multi day tours, you will be able to save time.
- If you are planning to go to Tso Moriri from Pangong lake using backroads, you need to get the inner line permit and plan to get it a week or earlier.
- Not many people venture to the Tso Moriri because of its remoteness that is one of the reasons why you should visit.
Getting the Discount
Orchard of Ladakh
century monastery, there’s a new and modern monastery with 14meter statue of buddha is close by. You can go there to have a good view of the Nubra Valley and I didn’t find that monastery interesting.
the sun goes down. We wished that we went to Turtuk which is very close to the Pakistan border which became accessible only after 2010, but no time. There are a number of tourists visit Nubra Valley for camping but majority of them are just to just a day visit to see the sand dunes. More than the scenery of the sand dunes, the scenery along the way is very beautiful
Road to Pangong Tso
getting arrested for swimming there (this lake is considered as one of the sacred lakes), got out of it just standing in the water for sometime. The water was not that cold but very clear and nice. It is one of the largest (83 miles long) high elevation (about 14,000 ft) lakes that’s shared between India and Tibet(China). The view of the clear blue water surrounded by mountains is very beautiful.
Drive to Tso Mirori
the high altitude lakes (14,500 ft) and at night this place gets really cold. We met a group of people travelled from Mumbai wearing no shoes/socks and cotton cloths freezing in the dining area, because they had been told by their tour operator it won’t be cold. I really wanted to see the night sky but didn’t bother to fight the freezing weather so slept well.